Information for Authors
On Submitting Articles to BEADS: Journal of the Society of Bead Researchers
Manuscripts intended for BEADS: Journal of the Society of Bead Researchers should be emailed to Karlis Karklins, SBR Editor: email@example.com.
- Papers must be 1.2-spaced, justified left, with 1-in. margins. Submissions should not exceed 15,000 words including references cited and image captions.
- All manuscripts must be prepared with the following internal organization and specifications:
- First Page: place title and author’s name(s) at the top of the page.
- Abstract: an informative abstract of 150 words or less is to comprise the first paragraph.
- Appendices: these should be avoided but if necessary, they should be placed before the Acknowledgements.
- Acknowledgements: these are to be placed at the end of the article, before Endnotes and the References Cited section.
- Endnotes: these should be used sparingly and are to be situated before the References Cited.
- References Cited: these and reference citations should generally follow the style of Historical Archaeology in the SHA Style Guide (Section VII).
- Author’s Affiliation: place author’s name(s), affiliation, address, and email immediately following the References Cited.
- Tables: each table must have a short title at the top. Do not embed tables or illustrations in the body of the report.
- Figure Captions: list the captions for both black & white and color illustrations sequentially on a separate page using Arabic numerals.
- Number all pages consecutively from the title page through the References Cited and figure captions.
- All headings should be situated three (3) spaces below the preceding text and flush with the left margin.
- PRIMARY HEADINGS are to be capitalized and bold.
- Secondary Headings are to be typed using bold upper and lower case letters.
- Tertiary Headings are to be the same as the secondary headings with the addition of italics.
- Quaternary Headings are to be in regular upper and lower case letters with the addition of italics.
- All illustrations should be of publishable quality, with sharp focus and contrast, and submitted as high-resolution (300 dpi or higher) digital images (.jpg or .tif files).
- Images of objects and maps, site plans, etc., should include a metric or metric/standard scale.
- When several items are shown in a single frame, each object is to be designated by a lower case letter, and the caption should include references to these letters.
- Illustrations obtained from museums or other institutions, or from copyrighted publications or internet sites, must be accompanied by a letter from the appropriate institution or author granting permission to publish and indicating that reproduction fees, if any, have been paid by the author.
- Each manuscript will be reviewed by at least one member of the Editorial Advisory Committee. Articles of a specialized nature also will be reviewed by one or more persons who have expertise in the thematic content, cultural or geographical region, or time period dealt with in the manuscript.
- If review remarks are such that substantial changes are required before a manuscript is acceptable for publication, the revised paper will be re-reviewed by the original reviewer prior to its final acceptance.
- Manuscripts will be judged on the accuracy of their content, appropriateness for an international audience, usefulness to other researchers, and consistency with the research and ethical goals of the Society.
- Each author or set of co-authors will receive one complimentary hard copy of the journal as well as a digital copy of the article.
On Submitting Articles to The Bead Forum
The Bead Forum publishes short articles which should be prepared using the same general guidelines as for the journal. The deadline for submissions for the spring issue is April 1 and September 1 for the autumn issue. They should be sent to Michele Hoferitza, Newsletter Editor, at BeadForumNewsletter@gmail.com.